People often neglect sleep and in many cases, even look down upon it. For in todays society, it is not advantageous to rest. Working is what gets things done, and resting is just a hinderance after all. Ever heard, “Sleep is the cousin of death”? This is a sentiment shared by many. It seems everywhere you look, people are bragging about how much they are accomplishing but never how much they are resting.
But if rest were truly not important, why do we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping? Wouldn’t we be better off skipping the recommended 8 hours of sleep and staying awake 24 hours a day instead? As you have probably guessed, this is not how things work. Even if all of this did sound good to you, your body instinctively knows that it requires rest.
You may be wondering how you can incorporate more rest into your busy schedule. Here is a quick list of ways that you can recover throughout the day:
- Mediate for 10 minutes intervals. If you can’t spare 10 minutes, try to squeeze a 5 minute session in.
- Take 20-30 minute power naps. This can leave you feeling charged up for a few hours, which may just be enough to help get you through a busy day. However, be sure to not sleep too long.
- Listen to calm music. For example, ocean sounds, rain drops, and birds chirping work great at relaxing your mind and body.
- Go for a short walk outside.
- Do some yoga and other stretches.
- Focus on your breathing.